Patton: A Genius for War is a full-fledged portrait of an extraordinary American that reveals the complex and contradictory personality that lay behind the swashbuckling and brash facade. According to Publishers Weekly, the result is "a major biography of a major American military figure."
"This massive work is biography at its very best. Literate and meaty, incisive and balanced, detailed without being pedantic. Mr. D'Este's Patton takes its rightful place as the definitive biography of this American warrior."
-- Calvin L. Christman, Dallas Morning News
"D'Este tells this story well, and gives us a new understanding of this great and troubled man."
-- The Wall Street Journal
"An instant classic."
-- Douglas Brinkley, director, Eisenhower Center
General George S Patton...
Scanning WWII related dates...
- 04 Apr 41: Promoted to Major General (shows full promotions table)
- 06 Mar 43: Named the commanding officer of the US II Corps
- 12 Mar 43: Promoted to Lieutenant General
- 03 Aug 43: First slapping incident, this one in Sicily
- 10 Aug 43: Second slapping incident, this one in Italy
- 01 Aug 44: Patton's US 3rd Army is activated in France
- 02 Aug 44: 9th AF begins flying only missions Patton requests
- 16 Aug 44: Promoted to Major General
- 09 Dec 44: Circulates "Weather Prayer" to every man in 3rd Army
- 25 Dec 44: Sends a Christmas card to every man in 3rd Army
- 26 Dec 44: 10th Armored Division relieves defenders of Bastogne
- 24 Mar 45: Ritualistically urinates into the Rhine
- 14 Apr 45: Promoted to permanent rank of 4-star general
- 09 Jun 45: Honored at Los Angeles parade with Doolittle
- 02 Oct 45: Removed from command for remarks about former Nazis
- 09 Dec 45: Seriously injured in automobile accident in Germany
- 21 Dec 45: Dies from injuries sustained in the car accident
- 19 Mar 47: Casket moved within Luxembourg American Cemetery
Related WWII Store items...