The B-24 was heavily utilized in the North African and Mediterranean theaters by the USAAF's Fifteenth Air Force, with operations over the Ploesti oilfields in Romania being some of the most famous missions undertaken by the big American 'heavy' in World War II (1939-1945). The sterling work of the Fifteenth Air Force is often overshadowed by the glamorous "Mighty Eighth," yet the men flying the B-24 fought ceaselessly right through to V-E Day. This is the third of five titles planned to chart the operational history of the Consolidated heavy bomber, and is the first single volume to exclusively cover the Fifteenth Air Force's B-24 units.
World War II and Oil...
Related Scanning WWII links...
- 03 Mar 38: Oil is discovered in large quantities in Saudi Arabia
- 26 Sep 40: FDR imposes an embargo on the export of aviation fuel
- 01 Aug 41: US announces oil embargo against all aggressor nations
- 12 Jan 42: Dutch POWs executed for destruction of oil installations
- 25 Mar 42: Standard Oil pleads "no contest" over synthetic rubber
- 01 May 42: PLUTO pipeline under English Channel is tested
- 15 May 42: Gasoline rationing goes into effect in the eastern US
- 28 Jan 44: US, UK place oil embargo on Spain for supplying Germany
- 05 Mar 44: Gen Spaatz issues "Oil Plan" to bomb Germany's fuel
- 05 May 44: Spain stops exporting Tungsten to Germany for American oil
- 12 May 44: US 8th AF begins bombing oil production in Germany
- 12 Aug 44: PLUTO pipeline is laid across English Channel
- 16 Aug 45: Gasoline and fuel oil rationing comes to an end
Related WWII Store items...